Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A Walk in Someone Else's Shoes


I roll out of bed this morning dreading the day ahead of me. As I stumble my way to the shower the corner of the door wedges its self between my two last toes causing them to instantly curl as I hop around foolishly droning in pain. Realizing I was already behind schedule I hastily limped to the bathroom for my shower. I quickly rinse my lifeless, short brown hair of the flower-scented shampoo. As I race to my bedroom I scan the floor for clothing since I haven’t done laundry in weeks. I snatch a plain purple t-shirt off the side of the hamper and wiggle myself into a pair of oversized, washed denim jeans. I hurry to the living room to find Ally dressed and playing with her dolls. My husband knows me all too well. I’m always running late. I place Ally into her car seat and buckle her tightly. I speed out of the driveway and of course I hit a red light. As I impatiently wait for the light to change I reassured myself how terrible this day would be. Ally is getting her ears pierced. I carelessly halt into the first parking spot available. I unbuckled Ally and toss her on my hip. Taking a quick glance to my watch, I increase my speed. Were ten minutes late. As we make our way through the automatic doors at the mall entrance a rush of air blows the hairs on the back of my neck giving me every right to imagine the worst that would come of this. We enter Claire’s. I can tell they’ve been expecting us as a gust of cleaning chemicals greets us at the front desk. They congenial employees guide us to the piercing station. They trace two black dots on where the earring will be placed. I begin to feel anxious. Only I knew how this would end. Ally didn’t know what was about to happen all she knew was that there would be a savory lollipop after it all and that’s all she cared about.  Next thing I know they piercing gun snaps and her eyes grow large and glossy like the lollipop she had saved on the counter for afterwards. Tears plunge down her cheeks and her screams echo in the mall. I snatch the lollipop and shove it in her mouth dashing out of the mall as fast as possible. We make it to the car I buckle Ally in and get into the drivers seat. Still cries in the back round I let out a deep sigh of relief. I am so glad that’s over with.

No comments:

Post a Comment